Welcome to Arataki Cultural Walking Trails. We are located in the beautiful city of Tauranga, which is in the Western Bay of Plenty region in the North Island of New Zealand.
Māori are the indigenous people of New Zealand. We have inhabited these shores for many centuries. Over time, our history and cultural stories have evolved and flourished. It is these same stories that help define who we are as a people. It is through story that we maintain our cultural values and transfer knowledge to future generations.
Arataki seeks to inform you about many of the cultural stories behind significant sites or “waahi” here in Tauranga Moana and around Aoteraroa New Zealand.
Now for the basics…
How do I get started?
- Download and install the Arataki mobile app (coming soon – 1st August 2017).
- Launch the app on your smart device.
I’ve installed the app, what now?
Once you’ve installed the app on your smart device, tap “Get started” to launch the app and wait for the loading screen to finish.
- Tap on “Guides” at the bottom of screen.
- Now select a Virtual Guide from the available list.
- Tap “Start Tour”.
- When prompted tap “Yes” to enable location services
- When prompted tap “Enable” to turn on Bluetooth.
- Refer to the guide map to start your journey!
- Tap “Pause Tour” at anytime to pause or select another Guide.
What technology do you use?
- Using a custom mobile app on your smart device, you can connect with the proximity (beacon) networks we have available.
- We have installed beacons at each of our culturally significant sites. Your smart device uses bluetooth to connect to the beacons located at each of our sites.
- So, when you’re within physical range of a site, you can unlock cultural information specific to that site.
For a better experience, we recommend you wear earbuds or a pair of headphones, so you’re not distracted by looking at your smart device screen when walking our trails. Be aware of your environment, to keep yourself safe!
We look forward to sharing our cultural walking trails with you soon.
Enjoy the journey…mauriora, be safe and well.
The Arataki Team.